9/28/10 – Day 4 – Fog and Choppy Water

     Well, the captain was correct in predicting that the weather might prevent us from sightseeing.  It has been foggy and drizzling ever since I woke up this morning.  However, we did see land about 7:00 a.m. as we crossed into the Bearing Sea.  And, I saw another boat (a fishing vessel) about 8:30 this morning.  So, there is other life out there.  Also, the birds flying and the seaweed floating in the water were much more plentiful.  My folks even saw a couple of whales this morning while eating breakfast. 
     The seas have once again gotten much rougher as we the day as progressed.  As we go along the boat goes up and then crashes down on the water.  Many of the crew are even commenting on the magnitude of the motion, as the ship has been sailing the inside passage of Alaska for the past few months and hasn’t seen seas like this.  However, our captain does, once again, assure us that the seas will be calming as we sleep this evening and tomorrow will be much better.  I actually don’t mind the high seas much, but for the sake of the older guests I am happy that things will be calming.  To me, God’s vastness and power has been brilliantly displayed as we travel the ocean.
     A new lady joined us for dinner tonight, Sophie, originally from Russia, but been living in Winnipeg, Canada for 30+ years.  She was very enjoyable to chat with, and a nice addition to our table.  She’s been assigned to our table all along, but prefers to eat in the Lido buffet style restaurant. I hope she joins us more often.  The entertainment acts on the ship has been good.  Tonight we have a comedian and then I’ll go to the nightly movie, as has been my habit.

No comments:

Post a Comment