8/5 – Day 14: Invergordan, Scotland, UK


            This was a nice relaxing day.  We have visited this port two or three times before, but skipped right over Invergordan and took off on tours to Inverness, where you find a castle and the infamous Loch Ness, with its legendary “monster”.  Not today though…today we strolled the town’s “High Street,” stopping in at stores.  A highlight was visiting the local Protestant church, “The Church of Scotland.”  They had computers with free internet access in one nave, and the women of the church has tables for free tea and shortbread set up in the other nave, with live organ music playing in the background.  We experienced both, our favorite of which was the tea and chatting with a generous and loving sister in Christ.  After spending over an hour at the church, we headed back out to High Street, and stopped in the community center for a little garage sale, where they were also serving free tea. 
Next, we headed on down the street, and were intrigued by the “Fishy Feet” sign in the window of the beauty shop.  We had them call and make me an appointment at a place across town.  My folks and I grabbed a taxi and headed out to “The Therapy Rooms.”  I first heard of “doctor fish” last fall when visiting China…you soak your feet in water while these little fish eat the dead skin off.  I wanted to experience it then, but didn’t get the chance, and today was a perfect day to have this done.  So, I sat for 30 minutes with my feet in water while fish feasted on my dead skin.  It did tickle quite a bit.  The therapist noted the difference  afterward in the softness of my feet…but honestly I couldn’t tell the difference.  It was worth the experience, but I don’t think I ever need to do it again.  But, how many of you can say that you’ve have fish nibble on your feet for a half hour. J
While doing this, my dad had a Thai arms and leg massage.  He said it was one of the best and most knowledgeable massage therapists that he’s ever had.  Afterward, she spent about 20 minutes doing some free reflexology on a sore spot on my mom’s first.  Both her and her assistant were very friendly and good at what they do.  And, no worries, they too offered us complimentary tea.  Instead of calling a taxi, she gave us a lift back into town, where we spent a couple more hour strolling before heading back to the ship, making this a very relaxing and personal day.  The folks of Scotland are very kind and it was nice being immersed in the culture for the day.  I’m looking forward to Edinburgh tomorrow.

The town from the ship deck.

Not a big place, but so very friendly.

Flowers in window boxes or hangers were abundant in this quaint town


Our "Welcome to Scotland" bagpipe players

My mother with our new friend that serves in the Women's Guild at the local church.

The Church of Scotland

The Church of Scotland

Fishy Feet!  Yes, those are fish eating the dead skin off my feet.  It did tickle a bit.

Oils rigs are brought into this port for repair

No comments:

Post a Comment